|Smart Printing Tips from Dell |
Consider what happens when you hit print. On the surface, it seems like an insignificant action at a low cost. But when you consider that every person in your home is printing multiple times in a day, this cost can add up.
There are many ways that you can save on printing costs. Below are 14 easy ways to start:1) Turn on Duplexing
2) Turn on Draft Mode (reduce print resolution to 300DPI)
- Use both sides of the paper to reduce paper usage.
- Can’t duplex? Figure out how much you would save per month by reducing paper usage by 40% and see if that would pay for a new duplex-capable printer.
3) Print multiple pages per sheet
- Average settings are at 600 – 900 DPI
- Cuts toner usage in half
4) Consolidate printers
- This works particularly well for PowerPoint presentations where bullets are readable even with a smaller view.
5) Control color printer access
- Individual desktop printers cost 3X more per page than workgroup printers.
- Use page tracking software to see how much you could save monthly if everyone in your home shared one printer.
6) Turn off color output by default
- Limit color printing to necessary documents only.
- Activate Color Track technology to help manage your color output.
7) Restrict printer output by file
- Force others to select black and white output unless color is absolutely necessary.
8) Since image files use more toner, only essential documents should be printed with images.
9) Use different fonts
10) Preview before you print
- Century Gothic uses 31% less toner than Arial
- Times Roman – 29% less
- Calibri – 29% less
- Verdana – 8% less
11) Talk to your family about printing costs
- Helps to avoid printing blank pages
12) Train users how to use “Print Selection”
- Cost per printed page and how that relates over time
- How much your family could save paper and toner costs
13) Encourage the use of “”Shrink to Fit” when possible
- Only print the items you want from a page and avoid surplus printing
14) Webpage Printing
- Ensures only one thing is printed on a page
- Use Print Selection to select and print only what you want
- Eliminates costly toner usage for banner advertisements